In case you don’t know just yet, black tie refers to a formal dress code that’s used on social functions, especially ones that begin after 6 pm. Be it a wedding, gala, or various formal events, black tie for men screams tuxedos. For women, on the other hand, is a different story because of the full range of fashion options that they can choose from. So what do women need to wear during events like this?
Traditional Black Tie
- Traditional black-tie clothing for women consists of floor-length gowns. However, as the years go by, its style changes significantly and now include the following:
- Evening shoes
- Wrap/Stole or Gloves
- Ankle or Mid-Calf length sleeveless evening gowns
Modern Black Tie
- In our time, the black-tie dress code has improved ever since. It adapts the following dresses such as:
- Ball Gown
- Evening Gown
- Cocktail dresses
- Palazzo cut evening pants
- Embellished top and dressy skirt
- Accessories such as jewelry is also a welcome addition to modern black tie as well. Not to mention, an elegant evening bag will definitely make you an eye-turner.
If you’re still hesitant or can’t decide what to wear because of the wide variety of choices in the sea of fashion, you should consider the following options:
- The Invitation – If you received the invitation via personal, then chances are the event is going to be a fancy affair, and you should dress according to it. However, if you received the invitation via social media (e.g., Facebook) and comes with a not-so-formal appearance, then there’s a possibility that it’s just a casual one. After all, invitations these days already tell you what to wear so that one shouldn’t be a problem.
- The Location – If the event is held at a pricey location such as a five-star hotel, then this screams it’s a formal event. However, if the event is set at a beach, cocktail dresses are your best bet.
- The Guest List – Your last option is to take a look at their guest list. If you see professional people on the list, then you should dress as formal as you can base on what they wear. You can also ask other invited guests what they would wear to give you an idea of what you should wear also.
Black Tie Outfit Galore
Women are lucky that they have a variety of black-tie clothing to choose from. Here are some of them that are tailored for you:
- Formal Black Dress – This classic color is the epitome of bold and beautiful. However, not all formal black dress suits best for black tie events. You should check its fabric, length, and also its adornments if it fits to be included in a black-tie event.
- Cocktail Dresses – There’s a specific factor when it comes to wearing cocktail dresses, and this consist of letting it reach your knees in length. A mid-calf length is ideal for cocktail black tie clothing.
- Formal Top and Skirt – This dynamic duo isn’t usually worn in the traditional era of black-tie events. However, it made its way to the modern era making it a worthy addition to your options. A sparkly sequin top paired with a texturized skirt is the perfect combination of this one.
- Floor-Length Dresses – There are plenty of floor-length dresses you can choose from. Be it silk, crepe, or chiffon, as long as it reaches the floor then you’re good to go. In terms of color, muted hues go best for floor-sweeping dresses and will definitely make you an eyecatcher of the night.
- Chic Jumpsuit – Palazzo-cut pants are now accepted as a black-tie option. These palazzo-cut pants look wide-legged and loose, which looks like a classy-tailored jumpsuit.
- Glamorous Gowns – In addition to floor-sweeping dresses, a lengthy sparkly gown will go perfect as a head-turner as well. Gold and silver sparkly dresses are an ideal choice if you opt for a glamorous gown.